Most amateur photographers spend far too much time lusting after new expensive SLR bodies and lenses. If you have a digital SLR with just an introductory lens you can capture great shots. Still have some extra money burning your pockets? Here are 5 accessories to spend money on before going out and buying a new body and lenses.
1. Tripod – This is an absolute must. You can usually find good tripods for $50 and up from various places on the internet and locally. Tripods are necessary not just for night photography but also many daylight situations with certain exposures.
2. Camera Bag/Backpack – Camera bags are a must for anyone who actually wants to spend time using your camera. Some of the best shots I have never taken got away because I didn’t want to carry my camera before I had a convenient camera backpack. Find a bad or backpack that will carry your camera, lens, and all your accessories comfortably.
3. Extra Batteries – You can never have enough batteries. It never fails that just after your battery dies you come across the perfect shot and just have to walk away with only the memory of that perfect shot.
4. Extra Memory Cards – For the same reason as the extra batteries. Yes I know you can always delete pictures off the card that aren’t as good to make room for a new picture but in my mind its best to keep as many pictures as you can and decide which ones to keep after getting to a computer.
5. Remote Shutter Release – Oddly enough this made my list above a external flash. I love this device for its flexibility and usefulness. I love night photography and long exposures for fireworks and lightning and a remote shutter release is a must have.